You’ve been fielding those well-intentioned but potentially scary questions from family and friends all through the Christmas break…..got something lined up for when you graduate?… found out about jobs at xyz? …talked to so&so yet about openings? …and other variations on the same theme.
You’ve got your stock answers off perfectly – (you’ve used them often enough….!) ‘well I’m thinking of applying for x,y,z; taking a gap year ‘ etc etc – enough to stall them and move on to safer topics….‘another glass?’….’mince pie?’
Despite confident exteriors, many students are much more fearful of the future on the inside – which is where our Career Confident week comes in!
It can be tough moving on from the familiarity and relative security of education into the big wide world of work, so tips / advice from those who’ve gone before – and survived – are very welcome – and we’ve got plenty for you!
See what’s on offer in our Career Confident week – 18th-22nd Jan – we could have just what you need to turn career-fear into career-confidence.
The week-long programme will cover everything from professionalism and workplace culture to developing your online presence for the job market:
- Uncertain about the skills you’ll need in the workplace? – hear it from employers, including the BBC, Ernst & Young, Frontline and Decathlon, plus how to develop and demonstrate them
- Not sure how to ‘pitch’ your experience to make it interesting to an employer and develop your professional network? – get advice from our careers consultants.
- Unsure about workplace etiquette? – discuss workplace Dos and Don’ts in our speaker session with recent graduates
- Want to know more about different work environments and cultures? Visit local employers in Edinburgh to gain an insight into different working environments
- Know you need to get LinkedIn, but not sure how? – learn how to enhance your professional online presence and get a free professional headshot to use on your profile