Psychological therapies – explore the range of opportunities….


NHS HealthCare England have just published a new booklet on all the different options for working with psychological therapies in the NHS, including:

  • Assistant clinical psychologist
  • Clinical psychologist
  • Counselling psychologist
  • Counsellor
  • Forensic psychologist
  • Health psychologist
  • High intensity therapist
  • Psychological wellbeing practitioner
  • Psychotherapist

The booklet – which you can download here – Careers in the psychological therapies NHS 2017 – also contains case studies, advice on getting started, and potential career paths. It’s a good overview of all the different options using psychological therapies in the NHS in England.

NHS Scotland has taken a slightly different approach, introducing the Clinical Associate in Applied Psychology posts, rather than the High Intensity therapist or Psychological well-being practitioner mentioned above.

Two postgraduate courses in Scotland train graduates to work in the role of clinical associate in applied psychology. Both courses are run jointly by NHS Scotland and are a mixture of work and study:

MSc in Psychological Therapy in Primary Care (run jointly by University of Dundee and University of Stirling)

MSc in Applied Psychology for Children and Young People (University of Edinburgh)

For more resources on getting into different psychological therapies, check out the resources on your psychology careers pages.

This entry was posted in Psychology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s